That’s the million dollar question!
Let’s start with value for a second!
Getting a 1000X for around $200 is a great deal. The 100ABN at that price is…less of a deal. Still good, but not outside the realm of occasional sale pricing for that model.
I agree with you that the colors of the MDR100 lineup are really cool. In fact, I don’t really understand why the 1000X doesn’t come in more colors…other than Sony must be pointing their product at Bose fans and not Beats fans?
I can’t tell you whether or not your 1000X is going to crack. I don’t have any special inside knowledge, or way for you to guess if it will happen. The problem didn’t affect every pair, but I think I can safely say it was a higher percentage than anyone would have expected.
If I still owned a pair, this possibility would drive me personally kind of crazy. I think the 1000X is a very good pair of headphones… but it’s nuts that the inner plastic has failed so many people.
So, honestly, in this very moment, unless I were doing a ton of traveling or absolutely needed the extra features of the 1000X…I’d probably keep the 100ABN for now and return the 1000s. Then, in a few months, if the M2 version of the 1000X shows itself to be resistant to cracking after thousands of people have used it, I’d sell the 100’s and put the money towards the 1000X M2.
That’s just what I would do! I’d hate to be worried constantly that my shiny new expensive headphones were about to break. However, keep in mind that I also buy more headphones than most typical consumers, and so I’m used to the cycle of selling off old pairs to pay for new ones. I like to keep my used pairs as pristine as possible as a result…and that’s why I’d be so worried about my 1000X’s if I hadn’t already sold them.
I hope that helps you out somehow! I’m sorry that this uncertainty about the plastic makes it so tough to figure out the right decision. I wish I had a better answer like “Only these serial numbers were affected!” but it’s not that easy.